Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Old Fashioned Candy Drops


I found Old Fashioned Candy Drops on the store and purchased a bag and I got some kind of reaction to it. I felt stressed, hyperactive, it felt like itching inside my body and wonder what it could be.

It was the Licorice one I purchased.

The colors/dyes in the product are:
FD&C blue #1 lake (Brilliant Blue) (E133) more info
red #40 lake
(FD&C Red #40) http://www.hacsg.org.uk(Red Dye #40) more info
caramel color yellow #6 lake (FD&C Yellow #6) (Sunset Yellow FCF)

It seems like I'm allergic, sensitive or hypersensitive to some or all of the colors. Just as warned by for example http://www.hacsg.org.uk
Looking further these colors are also labeled AZO colors (
E 102, E 110, E 122, E 123, E 124, E 128, E 129, E 151, E 154, E 155, E 180) and having for example asthma you should try to stay away from them.
The Lemon one contained the color
FD&C Yellow #5 (E 102 tartrazin)

From what I understand the ingredients are ok for a vegans but for me it was a bad idea. Never eating them again, that's for sure.

After some research I found that they are manufactured by King Leo. Hard to find.
http://www.kingleocandy.com
I wonder why the Old Fashioned Candy Drops are not on their website though.
Calling them helped me to got confirm what the ingredients where.

Th drops are in a 6oz. bag of Old Fashioned Assorted Fruit Candy Drops, Old Fashioned Cherry Candy Drops, Old Fashioned Cinnamon Candy Drops, Old Fashioned Horehound Candy Drops, Old Fashioned Lemon Candy Drops, Old Fashioned Licorice Candy Drops, Old Fashioned Root Beer Candy Drops, or Old Fashioned Watermelon Candy Drops.

No comments: